You’ve been thinking for a while of getting a tattoo, and one day you wake up and say, fuck it, let’s do it! You research your local tattoo shop, or maybe you already had one in mind or had been referred to a quality place, and off you go to get your tattoo. No wait lists, no planning or obsessing, just walking in and getting it done and dusted on the spot.
So, what do you need to know?
- It’s always a good idea to have some idea of what you want to get. The days of pre-drawn flash are fading. Street shops with flash sheets are being replaced by hidden custom studios that have an array of artists who specialise in specific styles, with their impressive portfolios waiting to be perused. Sit down, have a coffee and take your time checking them out. Or if the shop staff seem friendly and knowledgable, let them make an artist recommendation for you! These guys are professionals and have made their passion their life and work, so let them guide you.
- Just because its not planned out, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t put thought into it. Don’t copy something off Pinterest or Instagram or the latest flavour-of-the-month celebrity. Tattoos are forever, trends are not. Pick a good artist and be open to their ideas. Give the Pinterest/Instagramer some respect and don’t copy their tattoo exactly, an artist worth their weight can draw up something cool for you on the spot! Use them! If you want a cliche tattoo, go for it!! But there’s no reason why you can’t make it your own and unique.
- Walk ins can be small or large. They don’t have to be tiny “stamps”. You are only limited by the length of time you have with your artist. Unless of course you book in for more time! They say tattoos are addictive.. you will get more!
- Be prepared to walk away. If you’re not feeling a connection with your artist, or if the shop you go to looks dodgy or is not clean and hygienic, walk away. All artists should be using sterilised tubes, single use needles, be wearing gloves and have their work stations clean and sterile. A good shop will also provide after care and washing/healing instructions for you. Follow it! Don’t listen to the your mates, listen to the artist who you trusted to do your tattoo in the first place!
- There’s a saying, “good tattoos aren’t cheap, and cheap tattoos aren’t good” Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Think about how much you spend on transient things; new jeans, a night out on the town, free range scrambled eggs on gluten free toast… Your tattoo will be forever, so think of it as an investment! Don’t call around shops and ask for quotes on the phone and just go with the cheapest one. Pick your studio based on the artist and their reputation. And pay what they ask. Its not a negotiation for the best price. If you can’t afford it, leave a deposit and book in for another day when you can save the extra cash. It will be worth it in the long run!
Most days, we have time to tattoo walk ins, depending on our appointments each day. You can call us up to see if we have available time before you come see us, but we always operate on a first come, first served basis and no tattoo appointment is locked in without a deposit.
For more info on walk-ins, check out the link on our Bookings page https://www.authentink.com/walk-ins-bookings/